Pre-write Proj. #3
- Introduce: Nina Simone, Titus Kaphar TEDtalk, Joey Bada$$ (real name, etc), authors of two articles.
- Working Thesis: Although the purpose of art is not solely to “reflect the times” and there are numerous pieces of art not based on politics, art is an extremely influential medium for change that reaches all types of audiences and we must take advantage of that.
Body I: Not art’s duty BARCLAYS
- Claim: Art is a powerful medium to reflect political and societal issues, but it is not art’s duty to reflect the times.
- discuss how art is a medium for change but not it’s duty. Its duty is to unite by storytelling and emotion, whether it is political or not.
- Take pieces from art annos hw (maybe whole graph)
- 2 article quotes
Body II: What is arts duty? BARCLAYS
- Claim: The purpose of art is to reveal a story; it does this by appealing to emotions that people can connect to.
- Art’s purpose barclays- use the first part! Potentially change the second quote.
- TedTalk quote
- Article quote
Body III: TRIAC
- Claim: Music is a powerful medium for change that reaches many audiences, whether they can relate first hand to the story or not.
- Discuss the song(s) of choice- historical context and social impact
- Joey Bada$$- how his album was influential and many songs on it discuss how he wants to stand up for his people and bring change
- Give quotes from the songs!! Many of his songs are about racial injustices and how he uses the microphone as his power.
Body IV TRIAC Personal Anecdote AND Naysayer
- First time I heard music- not quite sure but I had my first MP3 player @age (?) and listened to music (probably from disney channel shows)
- Songs connect people and memories- songs that remind me of previous bf=Hell N Back by Bakar(sitting through the sunroof at the sunset) and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (waiting in the long line at the drive in movies)
- Naysayer: Many of the songs that connect me to people have no political context but they are still important because art’s duty is to connect people through story and emotion
- If I had to write a song to reflect the times, what would it be about?- maybe about mental health
- Is my artist alive? (yes) and what would I ask them about their song/music and why
Reqs: use 4 quotes from art articles and 1 from Tedtalk. Find an article related to my artist or one of their songs and hyperlink it into paper. 1 Barclays, 1 Naysayer, 2 TRIACs.
Joey Bada$$ is a rapper from Brooklyn who released his album titled ALL-AMERICAN BADA$$ in 2017 addressing police brutality. Much of his album discusses the struggles of black people in the United States and especially in relation to cops. In an interview with the Rolling Stone he stated “My greatest power is my voice so it starts with me bringing [these topics] into the conversation and putting it in the music”(Rolling Stone). This means that he knows that his voice is powerful and that he needs to use it. It can be seen in one of his songs on the album titled For My People, where he relays “You can see the power when the mic is in my palm/When I storm across the room, hit the stage and perform” (1:15). In the same song he goes on to claim that “Music is a form of expression/I’ma use mine just to teach you a lesson/Rule one, this microphone’s a weapon” (2:35). In other words this means that music is powerful, especially in the hands of a famous rapper who is trying to inspire his audience to stand up and create change.
One thought on “Pre-write Proj. #3”
Although the purpose of art is not solely to “reflect the times” and there are numerous pieces of art not based on politics, art is an extremely influential medium for change that reaches all types of audiences and we must take advantage of that.
* I CANNOT wait to READ this PAPER!
Great job on this pre-write